Tuesday 25 August 2015

Little ways we can help

This morning on FaceBook I shared a couple of links to Greek news stories regarding exploitation of refugees by "clever businesspeople" selling goods such as water, sandwiches and services such as hotel rooms and taxi rides at outrageously overinflated prices.
Perhaps we can counteract these sad incidents by showing our welcome in little ways.  'Ahlan wa sahlan' and 'Merhaba' both mean "welcome" in Arabic--I haven't found much difference online but if you are a Native Speaker of Arabic reading this please enlighten me.  Without words, a smile and a little gesture such as a few sweets or biscuits or some bottles of water won't impoverish us, nor will it necessarily do much to feed them, but it will be a little human gesture that will brighten the day of a few children, perhaps blot out for a few moments the horrors of the war that they have managed to escape.  Or perhaps you have some clothes, shoes or toys your children have outgrown.  If you don't have children, then clothes, underwear or shoes for the women and men.
And of course, there are also so many homeless people, mainly Greeks, who would also welcome a little help.  Since many (though not all) are addicts, a gift in kind (food, clothes, shoes) is probably wiser than money, which would go to supporting the addiction.  I often take the obvious addicts to a bakery or coffee shop to buy them something to eat and drink--at least it will go in their tummies and not up their veins.  Occasionally some have asked me to buy them medicine or band-aids, or to bring them shoes or sandals.  I've seen a few homeless people reading, and they were happy to get books and magazines.
Finally, let's not forget the animals.  I put leftovers suitable for cats or dogs and water outdoors in a spot where they won't annoy my neighbours.  Any stale bread or out-of-date cereal/rice etc goes to the pigeons in the square--soaking bread in water is a good idea, especially in summer where water is so scarce in the streets.  I carry a small tin of cat food in my bag in case I meet a stray.
Please dear Friends, do not reply to this post by telling me how wonderful I am for doing these things.  That's not why I'm posting it.  I just hope I've given a few ideas of little ways we can all help.  We reading FB and blogs are blessed--we have a home with a PC, internet connexion and electricity.  We can afford to share our blessings with others.  While I am more fortunate than many I am not rich, so I look out for specials at supermarkets on packaged, portable things such as croissants and small individual packets of biscuits.  If the budget is tight I buy bags of lollipops.  And there are so many things we can do that cost nothing at all: not throwing leftovers or unwanted clothes/shoes in the rubbish bin, but putting them out for animals or passing them on to less fortunate people.  Maybe I didn't eat all my lunch: instead of carrying the remaining half sandwich or a piece of fruit home, I give it to a homeless person on my way to the bus, or what's not fit for humans, even an apple core, goes to animals.
Please share your own ideas in the comments below.  

No comments:

Post a Comment